Flagstaff Nursing Home Negligence Lawyers
Providing Compassionate Legal Representation in Sedona, Prescott & Phoenix
When you place a loved one into the care of a nursing home, you rightfully expect them to be treated with the utmost care and respect. Sadly, nursing home neglect and abuse is common.
Nursing Home Abuse Statistics in the United States
Nursing home abuse and neglect is a major problem in the United States. Some startling statistics collected by Nursing Home Abuse Justice include:
- While it is difficult to estimate a more exact number (see below), the National Council on Aging estimates that as many as 5,000,000 people are affected by elder abuse annually
- Victims of elder abuse are more likely to be hospitalized and 300% more likely to die than those who are unaffected
- People over the age of 65 who have been abused are four times more likely to end up in a nursing home
- For every case of elder abuse that is reported, 24 are not—largely because of the stigma associated with being the victim of abuse, as well as the fact that many individuals in elder care have difficulty standing up for themselves or understanding their surroundings
To make matters worse, nursing homes are chronically understaffed and faced with other related issues that make providing the necessary to each resident care difficult. The recent COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated many of the issues that nursing homes were already facing, leading to even more scandals over the last few years. Regardless of how you or your loved one’s injuries and/or ailments occurred, our team can help you hold the at fault party accountable if negligence or wrongdoing has taken place.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Some of the most serious nursing home negligence cases feature one or more of the following:
- Physical abuse: Every year thousands of nursing home residents report being physically abused by their caretakers, who are often undertrained, underpaid, and forced to work in highly stressful situations.
- Sexual abuse: Sexual abuse occurs when a nursing home resident is subject to unwanted sexual contact or commentary or is forced to participate in sexual activity. Sexual abuse may come at the hands of a staff member or another nursing home resident.
- Financial abuse: Nursing home residents become the victims of financial abuse when their possessions or valuables are inappropriately taken from them by staff members. In extreme cases, some nursing home staff members have even convinced residents to sign over important investments or other valuables.
- Negligence/neglect: Every nursing home is subject to a standard of care that governs the way that they are to care for their residents. When these standards are not met, residents may suffer from neglect. Neglect comes in many forms, including failure to provide residents’ medication on time, failure to properly care for bedridden residents, and failure to provide adequate medical treatment during an emergency situation.
- Mental/emotional abuse: Berating residents, neglecting them, and other such behaviors can lead to severe mental and emotional distress among nursing home residents.
Your Family’s Safety Is Our Priority
If you believe that your loved one has been the victim of nursing home neglect, it is imperative that you act immediately. AtEvans Garrey, our Flagstaff nursing home negligence attorneys have been helping Arizona residents fight abuse and neglect cases for years. Our priority is ensuring the safety of your loved one and ensuring that your family received the compensation you deserve to help pick up the pieces after nursing home neglect.
For a no-cost evaluation of your nursing home neglect case with one of our Flagstaff nursing home negligence attorneys, and information about how we can help, contact us today online or at (928) 589-0020.
Winning the Right Way
We've been on both sides of this fight, and we know how to win for you - with excellence, not aggression.
We'll be by your side at every step, providing regular updates so you're never in the dark.
Serving all of Arizona
Our experienced team serves all of Arizona with offices in both Phoenix and Flagstaff.
We're A Safe Place
We understand that in this difficult time, injuries can be hard to discuss; we are here to help.
We care deeply about each client and will treat you with the respect you deserve.